Friday, July 16, 2010

81st Month Anniversary

I didn't post anything yesterday (My goal is to try to post something once a day), however, I have an excellent reason for not posting. Yesterday was my 81st month anniversary of being with my wife.

Yes, my wife and I celebrate anniversaries monthly :). It started when we were dating back in graduate school, neither of us had a lot of money at the time so we decided to go out on dates at least once a month (we did hang out a lot though). And we thought what better day to go out on a date than the day we met :).

Back home in PG we explored many of the Chinese restaurants there our favorite restaurant was a place called "Jade Dragon" (sadly its no longer there :(). They had in my opinion the best Chinese food in PG (The "Pan Am" was a close second though (they are still around)) . During that time my wife and I primarily went out for Chinese and Vietnamese food.

It wasn't until we moved to Cow town that we started exploring other types of cuisine on our anniversary dates. We got into Thai and East Indian food there. Also we finally found a Dim Sum restaurant :).

I've been digging Dim Sum since I was five years old. When my family would go down to Van to see my Nana and my Aunt, we would always go out for Dim Sum. Some of my best memories of Van were the times when my family would go out for Dim Sum (Hey, when you are a little kid, Dim Sum is this a magical thing where you get so many food choices you don't even know what to go for and you get to use chop sticks. Believe me Dim Sum kicked the crap out of McDonald's (even when they gave you a toy)).

As you can guess in Cow town we went out for a bunch of Dim Sum on our monthly anniversary. Ah, good memories :).

When we first got to Texas it took us a while to find some decent restaurants. Restaurants are kind of different here. Almost all of them have a take out system. There is one close to us that is solely take out even though they have tables an chairs there. We made the mistake of thinking it was a normal restaurant and ended up eating off of styrofoam plates and drinking out of styrofoam cups and eating with plastic utensils (yuck....) .

We ate at another restaurant that had good Chinese food, but I kid you not it looked (both outside and inside) like a roadside diner. The waitresses there looked like they were out of a stereotypical diner movie (except they didn't have names like Marge or Flo, etc....). It was packed though and the food portions were good. The roadside diner thing though just blew my mind.

We quickly learned that if you want to have really good Chinese food (in a place that doesn't look like a roadside diner) you need to go to China town. We found what I would consider one of the best Dim Sum restaurants in North America (At least from my limited Dim Sum sampling). The food there is really good and that is where I took my wife on our monthly anniversary :).

I picked up my wife from work and we drove the 35 minutes it takes to get to China town. We were both really hungry by the time we got there and couldn't wait to eat. Oh boy, we ate until we were stuffed, and leaning back in our chairs. Afterwards we walked around a little bit and did some shopping (we bought a whole lot of vegetables (actually more than the fridge could handle) and then went to a really good gelato ice cream shop nearby. It has been really hot here lately so having some gelato ice cream was awesome. That was our date in a nutshell :)

No comments:

Post a Comment